Container rain & container desiccants

Eliminating Humidity-related Problems in Product Shipments by
Sea Containers.

Relative humidity measures the amount of moisture in the air. It is expressed in a percentage of how much moisture the air could possibly hold. The wetter or damper the air is, the higher the relative humidity. The drier the air feels, the lower the relative humidity.
Thus, 100% humidity is actually rain.

This is what moisture that condenses on the inner walls of cargo containers is called. This happens when transports go from warm zones (tropics) into cool regions. The colder air cannot absorb as much moisture and as a result the surplus water condenses on the inner walls of the cargo container and then drops from the ceiling.

Container Rain causes damage to your cargo. Examples of such damage abound: metal rusts, labels let go or go moldy, cardboard boxes become damp, the packaging of fresh or canned beer visibly deteriorates. The problems listed above are just a few examples of damage that can occur before your product reaches the customer. You can prevent damage caused by container rain during transport by sea or land by using an appropriate drying agent. Sea Dry is available in three different sizes. Atmospheric humidity is relative with respect to temperature. This is because cold air holds less moisture than warm air.

1 cubic meter of air at 25 ° C contains 20 grams of moisture at a relative humidity of 80%. This means that the remaining 20%, ​​amounts to 4 grams of moisture before the air becomes saturated (100% RH).  However, if the container temperature drops to 17 ° C, the relative humidity will reach 100% RH although the amount of moisture has not changed. This is because the air cannot hold as much moisture at a lower temperature. When this saturated air comes in contact with a cooler surface, condensation will form.

Put this in the context of a logistics operation and it means that a container loaded with cargo in a tropical climate at an atmosphere of 90% RH and 32°C contains 33grams of moisture per cubic meter.
For a 20ft container with a volume of about 33m³, this equates to approximately 1,089 liters of water. When the container arrives in a European port with an atmosphere of 0°C and 55% RH, the air will be able to hold just 5 grams of moisture. This results in 28 grams of condensation per each cubic meter of air in the container, which is slightly less than 1 liter of fluid for a 20ft container and 2 liters for a 40ft container.

Avoid container rain.
1kg of Dry Sea can absorb up to 20ml. of fluid per hour, a significant difference considering the atmospheric changes that occur during the day and night cycles of rising and falling temperature in a container. In this way, SeaDry acts as a buffer. It absorbs moisture and assists in maintaining the balance between the humidity and the container contents.

SeaDry Container desiccants are in 6 differant verions available.

1)  “SEA-DRY_Strip” 750 gram / Water absorption of > 1,5Ltr.

2)  “SEA-DRY_Hook” 1.200 gram  / Water absorption of > 2,4Ltr

3)  “SEA-DRY_Hook” 600 gram / Water absorption of > 1,2Ltr

4)  “SEA-DRY_Pole” 1.200 gram / Water absorption of > 2,4Ltr

5)  “SEA-DRY_Blanket 1.500gram / Water absorption of > 3,0Ltr

6) “Sea-Dry_Single” 250 gram / Water absorption of > 0,250Ltr

Canadaco can help you determine how much Sea Dry you should use to avoid Container Rain.
Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Tel.: +31 (0)6 22 78 78 77